On 4/11/07, Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> I think it's helpful to think in terms of fundamental, "base"
> resources and composite, "view" resources.
> [...]
> For other cases, I think it makes more sense to have the facets more
> or less completely disjoint.  The human useful, composite views may
> make a lot more sense to the user if they have their own naming
> hierarchy, etc. and just use the various, lower-level resources as
> services, if you will, that are managed separately.

Are you saying views should be first-class resources. and GET 'lower-level'
resources to assemble the page? If yes, what's the need for the
lower-level resources? The ForumView resource would just retrieve the
object it needs from the DB (profile and post in Jeff's example), inject them in
the  template and return the template's result.

If the lower level resources are all completely captive to a single
server then there's arguably no benefit.

However, it makes things a lot easier to horizontally and vertically
partition and otherwise scale the system.  For example, what happens
when the lower level resource starts dominating the run-time?  If it's
already a clearly defined and easily identified resource then it
should be trivially easy to move it to another server.

Hope this helps,
John