On 12/19/07, David Koelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But at this point, doing such a thing would amount to lying, wouldn't you
> agree?

In my case, certainly.  I could not claim to not have been exposed to the
source.  And in any case, I would prefer to be able to credit the original
proponent of the idea.

Dave, thanks very much for your permission.  But, I think that in order to
directly incorporate the work without compromising Restlet's copyright, we
would either need the code placed in the public domain, or obtain an
executed JCA (joint contributor agreement,
http://www.restlet.org/community/contribute) from everyone who contributed
actual code.  I think your assessment of the spirit of your contributors is
correct, but still, their consent in writing is critical to maintaining
their rights.

Otherwise we will need to keep this as an external dependency, skip this
enhancement, or find an independent implementation that differs
substantially and does not risk the project's copyright.

Personally, having been through this with small algorithmic pieces of code a
number of times, I do recommend putting the code in the public domain.  I've
done this with my own string replacement and tag filtering classes ...
originally I released them under LGPL with the same general intent as
AlphanumComparator, but it caused more headaches than it was worth for the
people I really wanted to help.

- Rob