Chris,
I guess they just slip the modem lease in my time warner bill.  That or just
screwed up my bill and are giving it to me for free.

Omar,
Even high gain routers don't go through brick walls at all.  Having dual band
doesn't help much either 5.8 ghz gives you less range.  Probably your best bet
is to put the router next to the wall or use two routers and use WDS for repeat
mode.  Not a fan of "Range extenders" or "Wifi repeaters" they kind of go
against IEEE/ip standards.