You should read the original article that started this thread to answer that
question:

    http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,1540,2082921,00.asp

The main issues that affect MySpace performance are:

  1. they get more traffic than any web site in the world; and,
  2. every page is dynamically generated via multiple database queries
(there are no static pages, and because each page is customized per user,
there's little opportunity for query caching).

The main thing they've struggled with (still struggle with?) is the
database, as discussed in the Baseline article. Since they switched to
BlueDragon and .NET, there have been no issues with the front-end web
servers.

Vince Bonfanti
New Atlanta Communications, LLC
http://www.newatlanta.com