I hear that you've moved on, and fair enough, but in case it helps others,
you said, "I did verify the form.fieldname output by observing what was
inserted to the database that it uses."

I would challenge that testing what got inserted into the DB would not be
proof of what I was asking for. The DB could have permitted/converted the
number to something different than what came in. I meant to assert that you
test exactly what is coming from the form (because you were referring to an
isvalid test in CFML).

I see that you also now refer to CF's client-side validation, because you
looked into the js file it uses. Again, fair enough. All different things.

As for the scenario I mentioned above, with some DBs a currency format will
accept entries with or without a $, but what it stores internally obviously
is just a number. This may well be part of the confusion you're seeing, if
some validation methods had to accomadate this factor.

Just sharing thoughts from a brain to be "picked". :-)

/charlie