Thanks Teddy and Tom for your ideas!

I watched another one of Charlie’s CFMeetup preso’s – This one by Isaac Dealy.
The topic was: Comparing CF Frameworks, a practical demonstration.

https://admin.na3.acrobat.com/_a204547676/p54833624/

http://on.tapogee.com/galleonproject/index.html

Isaac is the author of onTap, but he does a good job of disclosing his bias! He
took Ray Camden’s Galleon project and ported it to all the main frameworks.

I thought he made several excellent points:

·         It’s more important to pick a framework (any framework) than which
framework you pick!

·         The frameworks are more similar than different. And, once you’ve
learned any framework, it’s easier to learn another one. This means don’t worry
too much about how long the framework will be around!

·         Good ideas introduced in one framework are usually quickly copied by
the others.

·         Charlie did a poll and about half of the audience used one or more
frameworks. The other half didn’t.

·         Teddy’s advice to build an app in several frameworks is the best
practice. But, this is very hard and time consuming for someone like me who has
a steep learning curve to go down. This is why Isaac did the comparison for us.
He really did a great job of covering the similarities and difference between
the frameworks (See the URL above).

Based on the preso’s I’ve watched and my research, I think I should take my
best guess and just pick a framework. Once I’ve gone a ways down the learning
curve, maybe I’ll try some of the others.

Tom said, Model-Glue feels more comfortable than Mach-II. And it looks that way
to me, too.

But, unless one of you says “Oh My, that’s a big mistake!”, I’m going to start
with ColdBox. Why?

·         ColdBox has really great documentation, and I think that will be a
big advantage in learning it.

·         They seem to have a nice layout manager for the views. The way they
did this makes some sense to me.

·         They give you some useful plug-ins and tools. It looks like they are
trying to save me time and make development easier.

·         They have a nice proxy that lets you access the framework via Flex (I
know, some of the others have this too, but theirs looks easier to use).

·         It’s an MVC framework and seems to be mainstream with substantial
support behind it.

I’m also taking Teddy’s advice and I’ve signed up for the ColdBox eMail list.

I’ll keep you posted on my progress!

    Clarke