From: ad...@acfug.org [mailto:ad...@acfug.org] On Behalf Of Charlie Arehart
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2009 6:20 PM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: RE: [ACFUG Discuss] ColdFusion debugging info

Thanks for the clarification, Clarke (and yep, Cam's the man!).

As for your question, yes, this (stopping the cfusion instance in the
multiserver deployment, when it's not needed) is an optimization that I
often point to my customers (for CF Server troubleshooting, tuning, etc.).

Of course, you need it to use its Instance Manager, such as to add/edit
instances and clusters. But otherwise, as long as you don't have any
websites configured (such as in IIS, Apache) to point to that cfusion
instance, then nothing is really using it, no, and therefore it can be
stopped.

Some may wonder why bother. Well, it would save the memory that it would
otherwise use, and that can be significant. Of course, you can view its
memory use using via various tools, but even more simply just consider that
by default, all instances share the same jvm.config, so the settings for
your "real" instances are used for this cfusion instance (unless you take
manual steps to do otherwise). Of course, the instance also does a little
disk I/O and uses a little CPU even when it's "doing nothing", so again if
you don't need it, it's best to turn it off.

I stop that instance and then set it (in Windows Services) to be "manual". I
start it when I need to add/edit instances, clusters, etc. You mention using
the Instance Manager to get the link for the admin of a given instance. Of
course, you'd now just want bookmark that individually instead. :-)

Hope that's helpful.

/charlie