I'll just offer a counterpoint for folks to consider. :-) While Cam talks
about the benefits of running CF from the command line (with the console
output dumped to screen), I'll say that I don't myself like to do that for
the very reason that I like the logs. I don't like that when the instance
dies, all the info that went to the console is lost.

For those who never noticed, the console output is logged by default to a
coldfusion-out.log (or instance-out.log) when CF is not run from the command
line. These -out.log files are stored in the [jrun]/logs in multiserver
deployments and in [cf]/runtime/logs on Standard or Server deployments.Many
mis them when they can in fact be quite vital to solving problems (whether
in development or production).

I realize of course that Cam is talking about running from the command line
in development, and he's ok with reviewing the info as it appears in the
console. I just prefer even in development to have access to the info after
the fact. Different strokes. :-) Just wanted to share that observation if it
may help some readers.

(And to be clear, when I mentioned starting the service from the command
line, that does NOT cause the creation of a console interface. The logs are
created when CF is started with the jrunsvc command, which starts the
service. What Cam is talking about now (and I above) is when one starts CF
with the JRUN command instead.) Hope that's helpful.

/charlie