 From: Teddy R. Payne <teddyrpa...@gmail.com>
To: discussion@acfug.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] Converting HTML formatted text to regular text in
Coldfusion 9

Chris,
Do you need to store the style formatting for "Test Record"?

If "Test Record" needs to look differently across different mediums (Flex,
PDF), have the style formatting defined in Flex and the PDF and just store the
actual data inside of the database.

If you need to capture the formatting on the text for display elsewhere, you
may want to use ColdFusion to strip off the formatting depending on your need.

You could have some methods in either Flex or CF to perform some custom calls
like FormatRecord("plaintext" or "html") and then you return either the
stripped out data or return the original formatting that was entered.

I am not sure there is a single CF function that will just return the data in
between the all of the formatting, but you could probably just use REReplace()
to use regular expressions to get to the core test record data.

Cheers,
Teddy

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Chris <h_chris...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>An application consists of Flex as front end, Coldfusion 9 as middle tier and
>MySQL 5 as the back end.
>
>A MySQL table contains some fields which contain HTML formatting. So, if a
>field has value string "Test Record" it is stored as
><TEXTFORMAT LEADING="2"><P ALIGN="LEFT"><FONT FACE="Arial" SIZE="12"
>COLOR="#0B333C" LETTERSPACING="0" KERNING="0">Test Record<FONT
>SIZE="8"></FONT></FONT></P></TEXTFORMAT>
>in the MySQL table
>
>Now, this field's value is being printed in a PDF document as
>
><cfdocument format="pdf" filename="#report_filename_format#"
>orientation="landscape"
>overwrite="yes"
>marginbottom="0" marginleft="0" marginright="0" margintop="0"
>pagetype="legal">

>text-transform:uppercase; vertical-align:top;">
>Value
>
>Since, the field value is stored with HTML formatting, the space taken is more
>and there is no
>control about the printed text's font type and font size.
>
>1. Is there any function in Coldfusion 9 which can convert the field's value
>to a regular text(without the HTML formatting) so that if "Test Record" would
>print the same regardless of whether it was stored as font size 10 or font
>size 30?
>
>2. I am thinking of one way is to get the record being printed in a Flex
>application, use field.text property of a TextArea control(in Flex)
>to convert to regular text, then
 pass the converted value to Coldfusion for printing in the PDF document. Are
there other better options?