Quoting Daniel Berteaud <dan...@firewall-services.com>:

  Le 09/02/2018 à 04:05, Les Mikesell a écrit :

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 7:15 PM, Daniel Berteaud <dan...@firewall-services.com>[1] wrote:
I don't run BackupPC on SME itself anymore (I use it to backup a lot of SME Servers though). But the contrib should still work: https://wiki.contribs.org/BackupPC

If you haven't been following backuppc development, there is a newer 4.x version with the advantage of no longer using filesystem hardlinks to de-dup the archived files plus some other improvements.

I know, I maintain EL6 and EL7 packages for it (http://repo.firewall-services.com/centos/), but have nothing SME specific for this version.

++

  --

Well, that sucks for us as a whole.  I know you are running a business, and have the need to provide value add reliable services.  For the distro as a whole, I don't feel we have to good solid backup solution, anymore.  Flexbackup and DAR just don't seem to be cutting it.  Flexbackup is way too slow for large amounts of data.  Don't get me wrong, I have personally never had any issues with flexbackup.  When it works, and can complete within the backup window, it works great for me, and restores have also always worked,  DAR seems inconsistent from some of the things I've seen in the forumsm but I don't think I really have any choice but to do some additional testing.  That is just my opinion, I'm sure there are those of you that are running this pretty reliably.

So, I'll have to find time to do more DAR testing on my own, and see if I can live with the built in method, and also do some testing with backuppc starting with the old contrib and seeing if that can be updated to use the newer versions.  Not having any experience with backuppc, I'd want it to backup to a CIFS share, like DAR can do, then I'd need to be able to restore single files, and a whole system.  I'm not a coder, so I'm not 100% sure how to get those pieces incorporated at the moment.

I do appreciate all that responded.

Thank you,

John

Links: