On 04/10/2019 15:15, Florian Snow wrote:

> On October 4, 2019 2:59:59 PM GMT+02:00, Daniel Pocock <dan...@pocock.pro>
> wrote:
>> I told people that I withdrew from some of my activities due to family
>> reasons, including the death of my father and other matters of a
>> similar
>> level of tragedy.  A few days later your email appears complaining I
>> didn't do everything I should have done as a volunteer.  It wasn't just
>> unsympathetic, it was a horrendous way to respond.
>

> This is a lie by omission. You did not tell us about any family issues. In
> fact you told us we hadn't tried to talk to you. Some of our responses said
> that we tried to talk and you didn't show up. That is all it was: Responding
> to one of your accusations. I am sorry about the timing.

Volunteers are not obliged to inform FSFE e.V. about their family life.

Over the last year, I withdrew from FOSSASIA, DebConf and RHL19 and
reduced my RMLL trip to a single day.  Nobody actually asked why, people
just complained and some of them continue to sustain that hostility.

There are many private situations where a volunteer would not be able to
disclose any details at all.

>> There seems to be some pattern,
>
> Yes, a pattern of you publishing selective information. My summary may not be
> perfect, but I tried to give it neutrally and look at it from different
> sides. I defended your behavior when a lot of people had given up. But you
> don't publish any information that shows how you acted. Instead, you claim
> "other people told me" and "people ask" and show screenshots of email
> subjects that say nothing about the content so you can then claim something
> improper went on.  It is difficult to defend against FUD.
>
> I am always willing to forgive and move on. If you are interested, please let
> me know. I tried in the past to work with you. Perhaps you can go through
> your email archive and try to remember.

At a distinct time of personal tragedy, people went to extraordinary
lengths to suggest that there was wrongdoing that nobody can actually
identify, even removing me from the Debian keyring as I was about to go
on vacation.

Even after I resigned from my role at FSFE e.V., I still get regular
reports of gossip emails that people sent or continue to send.

During this time, other volunteers (Norbert Preining, Richard Stallman)
have also been subjected to extraordinary abuse as well.

While these things are ongoing, while various mailing lists are actively
censoring mail about conflicts of interest and Google, it is hard to
talk about forgiveness.  The perception I have now is that bad actors
are deciding who to attack next or how to push the knife deeper now that
RMS is gone.

If individual members of the community are willing to distance
themselves from that rogue behaviour then that might offer opportunities
for forgiveness at a personal level.

Regards,

Daniel