On 2019-10-08 12:11 p.m., Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> Aaron Wolf <wolft...@riseup.net> wrote:
>> On 2019-10-08 10:26 a.m., Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
>>> And, by the way, for demonstration, why shitposters are not always worth
>>> being banned — at least they might contribute a good occasion to post
>>> something valuable in reply.  ;-)
>>
>> Keep in mind also that it can be easy to confuse shitposting and defensive
>> ranting. If the other poster really had no idea what was going on, their
>> posts make sense in a sort of defensive what-the-hell sort of way.
>
> Okay, I’ll try to reread them more thoroughly.
>
>> I think Daniel deserves *some* of the criticism people have brought up about
>> how lists are managed etc., but his recent post about how to engage with
>> others on a human level is spot on.
>>
>> At the least, criticize behaviors ("shitposting")
>
> Well, I actually did not criticize anybody, rather the contrary: indirectly
> commended. :-)
>
>> rather than labeling people ("shitposters")
>
> Does is really make any difference?  After all, it neither innate nor for
> life, but occasional.  While one shitposts he is shitposter, and the other
> way round as well: shitposter is the one who shitposted.
>
>> The labeling and rejecting of people without really understanding them is
>> exactly what other folks are doing to RMS.

I think it does matter a lot. I think the labeling of *people* rather
than of actions generally encourages fixed-mindsets and defensiveness.

I'll go one step further in what I said before: RMS is a visionary and
he consistently emphasizes that they way we use language matters. That
issue is at the heart of all of this. To respect and learn from RMS, we
should realize that words matter and use them thoughtfully.

I could go on about why it matters in this example (labeling of actions
rather than people). Let me know if the reasons aren't clear enough. I
don't want to invest too much in this tangent right now though.