On 10/27/05, Uri Bruck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Elad Efrat wrote:
> Gábor Szabó wrote:
>

>>Taking a few random files with some random sampling,
>>that is to say using some meaningless numbers
>>I would say  there are 3-7 words in every message in English.
>>
>>3*40.000*0.80*76/250 = 29.184 + VAT
>>7*40.000*0.80*76/250 = 68.096 + VAT
>>
>>OK, let's say under 100.000 NIS
>

> This is meaningless. You are missing the point of translation.
>
> During the translation, one might stumble upon words with no previous
> translation, in which case there are two options: invent a new word
> or do a 1:1 translation.
>
> I'd like to see the first happen, with proper discussion in the
> lists.
Technical translators are immensely more qualified to that than the
majority of the people on the lists.

I don't get it, what is that with this discussion all the sudden?
We can have hobby programmers doing amazing job we can have projects like wikipedia
but suddenly when it comes to translations we don't know what we are doing?
Well sorry I don't buy it. I saw professional translation both to hebrew and from other languages to english,
and you know what?They again and again and again made mistakes because they didnt' really know the product.
The best translations I saw were of people who knew the context who used the program.
So no I don't think we did such a bad job, and no I don't need we need to pay people to translate.
We need to pay someone to help us out with the infrastructure so we can have good united guidelines for translation.

Btw if you ask me offering bounties to promote things like adding bidi support to html in pango would be more help.

Ely

לענות