On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 17:10 +0200, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006, Omer Zak wrote about "Re: Recording the Lecture [was
> Re: Date Correction [was Re: Telux: "Linux Kernel Tuning and Customisation"
> on 26 March]]":
> > Why should I give up my own life and spend a lot of time on those
> > recordings, if the mechanism which I suggested - to ask the first
> > 6-12-20 readers to volunteer to transcribe stuff - would solve the
> > problem of recruiting volunteers?  All it requires is that organizers of
> > the lectures agree to enforce this.  After all, you need one hour to
>
> No, it requires someone to write the software to do this. You can't expect
> the organizer of a lecture site (say, haifux) to take care of transcribing
> 20 lectures each divided into 20 parts and remember who promised to do what -
> while it's very easy to write software that does it (every downloader that
> clicks on "I agree to transcribed" is sent a 3 minute file and asked to
> transcribed it, sent reminders if he doesn't do it, and finally this
> portion is sent to another person, and so on). You also can't rely on
> the individual lectures - those often volunteer to give a 60 minute lecture,
> and after that's over, they don't want anything to do with setting up
> a site and things like that.

Bravo!
Now we are actually diving into details, which will hopefully lead to a
good solution of the problem.

I'll work on most of the technical aspects of the problem - this is
one-time effort.  I'll need help in the design part from someone like
you (Nadav) who will be representative of the prospective volunteer
transcribers.  Someone to represent the side of lecture organizers will
be welcome as well.  Someone to represent the Hamakor Web site and the
Israeli LUG Web site webmasters will be needed as well, because the
solution needs to be integrated into their Web sites.

We can also try to design a system, in which transcribers will have
incentives to put in more effort than the minimum we ask from them.
We need also a system for quality control of the volunteers' work.

Question:  do we want to provide to the lecturers also the service of
translating their lectures into English, and expose them to
international audience?  If yes, we can use the same mechanism to lock
both sound recordings and Hebrew text transcriptions until the English
translations are available.

> > I have a life, and I do not want to spend too much of my time on wars to
>
> Your suggestion doesn't require "wars". But it requires someone to write
> software. Since free software works on the basis of "scratching your own
> itch", you need someone with this itch to go ahead write this software -
> or you can decide to do it yourself.

OK.  Remember that the full solution requires integration of software
with organizationware and policyware.  The organizers of LUG lectures
need to agree to release sound recordings of the lectures only via the
proposed system.  Good design needs to be made to make the system
friendly for all parties involved.

> > I expect software to always have also text I/O capabilities, not to have
> > a regression of dropping text I/O capabilities.  This is not only for
> > the deaf but also for the mute and for noisy offices and the like.
>
> Indeed, but when the day comes that "ordinary" (hearing and speaking) users
> interact with MS-Windows 2015 using a speech interface and Linux doesn't
> have it, we (free software) will be in a big problem.

I do not see a danger of this happening.  When they build elevators and
ramps in buildings to make them accessible to wheelchaired people, they
do not tear down the stairs.  The stairs stay in place for those, who
have full use of their legs.

On the other hand, it already happened to the blind that they were
disfranchised by the move from text-based software to Windows-based
software several years ago.  I do not want to see this happen to the
deaf.
                                           --- Omer