On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 19:33 +0200, Alon Altman wrote:
>    I fully agree with Orna on this. This is against the FOSS spirit. If at
> all, the government should be supplying the deaf with the tools to
> transcribe audio when needed (in the US they do via "relay calls"). A free
> software approach to this issue would be similar to what project guntenberg
> uses (http//www.pgdp.org/) which is cutting the work to small peices for
> volunteers to work on, WITHOUT limiting access to the originals.

The suggestion to tie access was only one possible solution (and bad one
due to technical reasons) to the problem of motivating volunteers.
Other suggestions are welcome.

>  However,
> even this may not be cost effective. The community as a whole will benefit
> more from these volunteers' time if they would have contributed in other
> means, such as writing software or localization, which outweighs Omer Zak's
> personal wishes to hear a lecture.

My personal wishes?!

My inconsidrate whim to be included in the community rather than be
excluded?  After all the effort my educators spent on me in getting me
to study in normal schools and learning to lipread and speak to my best
ability, with the goal of integrating me in the wide community.

If any of you is parent of a deaf child, you probably find it difficult
to accept that your deaf child should have access to Sign Language and
be part of the Deaf Community.  It is probable that none of you is
parent of a deaf child, but you probably know relatives or friends who
have deaf children and are faced with the dilemma of trying to integrate
their child into the wide community versus isolating them in the Deaf
Community.  Ask those parents what they want for their children (but
without trusting vaportechnological wishes for technology which solves
all problems and which is just hiding behind the corner).  Then look at
them straight in the eye and tell them that their deaf children will not
be able to access the content of the lectures recorded in audio files.

About 10% of the general population have varying degrees of hearing
impairment.  While my degree of hearing impairment is the fate of about
0.1% of the population, few percent have sufficiently bad hearing to be
unable to benefit from, or avoid coming to lectures.

You do not see other people with disabilities, but they exist.  This
E-mail message is being BCC'ed to few deaf software developers, who
currently do not feel enough self-confidence to participate in the Free
Software related meetings, discussions or forums.

Consider that some of those people might contribute to Hamakor's pool of
volunteers, for tasks and projects which are not related to deafness.
But they cannot contribute without access to the information, which they
need in order to contribute.

>    "Discrimination" is not a problem here. There will always be people for
> which the information will not be accesible, say people who don't know
> English, or people who do not have a programming background.

I refuse to accept this attitude!

A better attitude would be "yes, this is a problem.  Let's continue
looking for a good solution to the problem".  I do not accept the
attitude of "let's do nothing, and leave people with 'difficult'
disabilities out in the cold".

Enlisting volunteers for transcribing all lectures does not necessarily
come at expense of other voluntary activities of the community, because
some people do not have other skills, which they can volunteer.  For
other people this may be a gentle introduction into the world of
voluntary work.  Eventually they'll graduate to heavier volunteer work.

How about looking for, and listing benefits from textual transcripts,
which people with normal hearing may get.
For example:
- Much shorter files, faster to download.
- Ability to speed-read by busy people.
- Maybe other benefits, which occur to the creative minds so abundant
among Hamakor members?

This is another approach to solving the problem of justifying the effort
of transcribing lectures.
                                      --- Omer