On Tue, Mar 21, 2006, Omer Zak wrote about "Re: Recording the Lecture [was Re:
Date Correction [was Re: Telux: "Linux Kernel Tuning and Customisation" on 26
March]]":
> Why should I give up my own life and spend a lot of time on those
> recordings, if the mechanism which I suggested - to ask the first
> 6-12-20 readers to volunteer to transcribe stuff - would solve the
> problem of recruiting volunteers?  All it requires is that organizers of
> the lectures agree to enforce this.  After all, you need one hour to

No, it requires someone to write the software to do this. You can't expect
the organizer of a lecture site (say, haifux) to take care of transcribing
20 lectures each divided into 20 parts and remember who promised to do what -
while it's very easy to write software that does it (every downloader that
clicks on "I agree to transcribed" is sent a 3 minute file and asked to
transcribed it, sent reminders if he doesn't do it, and finally this
portion is sent to another person, and so on). You also can't rely on
the individual lectures - those often volunteer to give a 60 minute lecture,
and after that's over, they don't want anything to do with setting up
a site and things like that.

> I have a life, and I do not want to spend too much of my time on wars to

Your suggestion doesn't require "wars". But it requires someone to write
software. Since free software works on the basis of "scratching your own
itch", you need someone with this itch to go ahead write this software -
or you can decide to do it yourself.

> I expect software to always have also text I/O capabilities, not to have
> a regression of dropping text I/O capabilities.  This is not only for
> the deaf but also for the mute and for noisy offices and the like.

Indeed, but when the day comes that "ordinary" (hearing and speaking) users
interact with MS-Windows 2015 using a speech interface and Linux doesn't
have it, we (free software) will be in a big problem.

Like you, I hope that serial text interfaces (i.e., "the command line") will
continue to live forever and we'll continue to be able to do almost everything
through it. This will be best for the blind, deaf, and Unix diehards like
myself :)

--
Nadav Har'El                        |       Tuesday, Mar 21 2006, 21 Adar 5766
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Today is the tomorrow you worried about