Another high profile example of such a project: PIL.

19.04.2016, 00:56, Chris Barker kirjoitti:
On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Ian Cordasco <graffatcolmin...@gmail.com <mailto:graffatcolmin...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    >> 1.  PyYAML is a package that would be de-registered in such a scheme.  It

    > and you don't think ANYONE would be willing to take on the miniscule
amount
    > of work to maintain the name? Plus there would be any number of
    other
    > schemes for determining whether a project name is abandoned.

    I have in fact offered but the author refuses to accept help from
    anyone. They're also the author of the C library (libyaml) and they do
    not maintain that either. It's actually quite frustrating as someone
    who wants to fix some of the numerous bugs in the library + improve it
    and add support for YAML 1.2 which is years old at this point.

Interesting third case I hadn't considered -- the original author is still "active", but not actually maintaining the software or accepting help. I don't think there is anything PyPi policy can do about that -- too bad.

Time for a fork?

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov <mailto:chris.bar...@noaa.gov>