> On Apr 18, 2016, at 2:00 PM, Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Alexander Walters <tritium-l...@sdamon.com
> <mailto:tritium-l...@sdamon.com>> wrote:
> Greatly expanding the pool of names solves the problem.
>
> some of it, maybe, but not the problem at hand -- mypy has already put itself
> up as "mypy-lang", an namespace would be pretty much the same thing.
>
> if you do pip search mpypi, you get a handful of results, two of which are:
>
> mypy (0.256)           - A wsgi framework
> mypy-lang (0.2.0)      - Optional static typing for Python
>
> if we're OK with that, we're already done.

I think there's still a general question here about orphaning packages, but
maybe in this very specific case a simple name change is in order? 'mypy' never
really made much sense to me as "python with types"; for many months after I
started hearing the name, I thought it was some kind of personalizable /
portable distribution of Python, or maybe a macro system (allowing you to
personalize python to your tastes).

Might I suggest 'typy' for TYped PYthon?  Nothing shows up in a pip search for
that just yet.

Just a thought,

-glyph