> On May 7, 2016, at 7:05 PM, Alex Grönholm <alex.gronh...@nextday.fi> wrote:
>
> 07.05.2016, 17:48, Nick Coghlan kirjoitti:
>>
>> On 7 May 2016 13:00, "Nathaniel Smith" <
>> <mailto:n...@pobox.com>n...@pobox.com <mailto:n...@pobox.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Here's that one-stop writeup/comparison of all the major configuration
>> > languages that I mentioned:
>> >
>> > https://gist.github.com/njsmith/78f68204c5d969f8c8bc645ef77d4a8f
>> > <https://gist.github.com/njsmith/78f68204c5d969f8c8bc645ef77d4a8f>
>> Thanks for that, and "yikes" on the comment handling variations in
>> ConfigParser - you can tell I've never even tried to use end-of-line
>> comments in INI files, and apparently neither has anyone I've worked with :)
>>
>> For YAML, my main concern isn't quirkiness of the syntax, or code quality in
>> PyYAML, it's the ease with which you can expose yourself to security
>> problems (even if *pip* loads the config file safely, that doesn't mean
>> every other tool will). Since we don't need the extra power, the easiest way
>> to reduce the collective attack surface is to use a strictly less powerful
>> (but still sufficient) format.
>>
> Sounds like a far-fetched hypothetical problem. You're concerned about the
> custom tags provided by PyYAML? Do you happen to know a tool that defaults to

Yea, pyYAML itself does (yaml.load() does it unsafely, you have to use
yaml.safe_load()).

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal though, we could easily add a thing to
PyPI that rejects any YAML file that can’t be parsed in safe mode. The bigger
deal to me is just that the library to work with it is a bit of a bear to use
as a dependency.

Donald Stufft