Hi Mike
No, it was easy to change. just be careful. It took about 30 mins. I was
being over careful as the new VFD cost a lot. Leave VFD in box until
needed!

I used a fine pair of wire cutters and cut the old VFD out of the board,
as close to the glass as possible (15 pins), then gently removed it from
the circuit board. It’s held on with 2 self adhesive double sided sticky
pads (about 1-2mm thick, you will need some new ones of these or a strip
cut to size for re assembly). Try prizing a small plastic ruler between
the back of the VFD and circuit board, to help lever it off. Do not risk
damaging the circuit board.
Then heated each pin with soldering iron and removed using tweezers.
Clear out the holes in the circuit board with either a solder sucker or
solder wick (RS 561-050).

Check all holes are clear and clean. Remove any traces of the 2 sticky
pads from the circuit board. If they won’t shift, don’t worry, just put
the new pads in a slightly different place. I fitted about 6 pads as I
had a strip of them. Tip. Don’t have any overhang of the sticky pads
below the line of where the new VFD will be fitted as you will see the
white pads when you put the Classic back together again through the
front plastic screen!

Fit the new pads either to the circuit board or VDF, your choice. I
fitted to board.

Now get the VFD out of the box, handle really carefully as it will be
static sensitive and it cost a lot :-)

Offer it up to the board and check the pins all go through the holes.
You shouldn’t have to bend any pins to get it to go in. If happy take
back out, then remove other side of sticky pads. Re fit, this time
gently putting pressure on front of glass, using a cloth like you would
clean sungalsses with maybe? Anything soft, that won’t mark the front of
the VFD.

Now solder the pins, most of them solder quickly. I think a couple of
the end ones took longer as there was more copper on the pcb to heat.
Basically, try getting the joint soldered as quickly as possible,
without getting a dry joint. I don’t think the VFD can take long periods
of heat on its pins. The glue that bonds them to the glass will get
damaged if too hot. Also DO NOT cut the pins shorter. Leave them that
long, they will be fine.

Power up and check it say’s “Squeezebox” like it used too :-)

I had no way of knowing for sure if the VFD actually was faulty, but
after reading some posts I came to that conclusion, plus mine had taken
a fall and hit the skirting board on the way down. So i kinda had a
hunch it was the display as its sensitive to shock and the other
electronics would not be. Also check if the wifi card has come loose as
mentioned on here too. Mine hadn’t.
Good luck if you try it.