On 8/18/07, Deryck Hodge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 8/17/07, James Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > What does this accomplish that 'svn info' doesn't?
> >

> Well, nothing, really. :-)

I'm with Deryck -  In reality, it achieves nothing that can't be done
easier with svn info, but I've had more than one discussion with an
end user asking them which version they are using, and being told
'0.97-pre'. Embedding an SVN revision in the version tag would
certainly slow down the rate at which I rend hair from my scalp :-)

So, +1 to the idea, but I'm not so happy with the implementation. In
particular, it relies on the availability of svn on the command line.

How can I put this delicately....

In my experience, the users that are most affected by this problem
also seem to be the users most likely to require their computers to be
defenestrated, so they are the users _least_ likely to have svn
available in their path.

Subtle enough? :-)

At the very least, your patch would need to catch the inevitable
error. Better yet would be an approach that doesn't require an
external call. Is there any other data source we can farm? Is there
anything we can easily glean from the contents of the .svn directory?

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)