On Aug 17, 2007, at 10:37 PM, Sean Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2007, at 6:49 PM, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
>>
>> At the very least, your patch would need to catch the inevitable
>> error. Better yet would be an approach that doesn't require an
>> external call. Is there any other data source we can farm? Is there
>> anything we can easily glean from the contents of the .svn directory?
>>

> yeah, .svn/entries, should be line 4.
>
> cat .svn/entries | head
> 8
>
> dir
> 5920 <-- you want this
> http://code.djangoproject.com/svn/django/trunk
> http://code.djangoproject.com/svn

Certain (older?) versions of the entries file are XML.  We would need
to figure out how many versions there are, which doesn't do much for
future proofing us.

This is one advantage the svn client has, but I'm really not against
parsing entries files ourselves.  I just wanted to point out there are
pros and cons either way.

Cheers,
deryck