On Aug 17, 2007, at 8:49 PM, "Russell Keith-Magee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > wrote:

> On 8/18/07, Deryck Hodge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> On 8/17/07, James Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> What does this accomplish that 'svn info' doesn't?
>>>

>> Well, nothing, really. :-)
>
> I'm with Deryck -  In reality, it achieves nothing that can't be done
> easier with svn info, but I've had more than one discussion with an
> end user asking them which version they are using, and being told
> '0.97-pre'. Embedding an SVN revision in the version tag would
> certainly slow down the rate at which I rend hair from my scalp :-)
>
> So, +1 to the idea, but I'm not so happy with the implementation. In
> particular, it relies on the availability of svn on the command line.
>
> How can I put this delicately....
>
> In my experience, the users that are most affected by this problem
> also seem to be the users most likely to require their computers to be
> defenestrated, so they are the users _least_ likely to have svn
> available in their path.
>
> Subtle enough? :-)
>
> At the very least, your patch would need to catch the inevitable
> error. Better yet would be an approach that doesn't require an
> external call. Is there any other data source we can farm? Is there
> anything we can easily glean from the contents of the .svn directory?

When I looked at an admitedly small sample of the files in a few .svn
directories today, I couldn't see the pattern to the info, but you
would think it would be there.  I don't mind poking at it some more
tomorrow or jumping on an svn IRC group or mailing list to ask how
best to get the latest revision if without svn tools.

As for handling the error, if you mean the error of svn not being on
the user's path, then what is there already handles that.  The string
returned is the output of the command whether that output is the error
from not finding svn or the actual info we want.  It's not like the
absence of the svn command will cause a Python exception.

I agree it's not ideal to do it this way, but I seem to recall from
some old viewcvs hacking that the command line tools or the Python svn
bindings were the only way to reliably get the revision info.

I just saw this as a not-perfect implementation that might help with
the most common case, but if we do think it's most likely that svn is
not on the user's path more often than not, then yes this patch would
be pretty pointless. :-)

Cheers,
deryck