One thing we have to keep in mind here is that people regularly use
the SVN version of Django, so it needs to be working as well as
possible, all the time. This is unlike many other projects, where the
repository (be it SVN or CVS) is always considered a work-in-progress,
where users are urged to proceed at their own risk, dodging serious
bugs and incomplete features along the way.

Sure, it doesn't always work out perfectly. As you mentioned, there
are times where trunk is broken and a committer is necessary in order
to fix it. However, more committers isn't a solution to that
particular problem. We'd probably just end up with a lot of extra
committers, all scrambling to put together a quick fix to the problem,
with little regard to fixing it right. Given that fixes need to fix
the root problem, while also not breaking anything else, it's
something that does need a bit of care, caution and communication.
Fewer committers actually helps here, since the core devs can be more
certain of their commitment to communication.

That said, I expect we could do with a few more committers. Who should
they be? I haven't a clue. The people I respect most on this list are
already committers, but I'm sure if I look back and keep an eye out, I
could find some names for nomination.

For what it's worth, "everyone can do what they want, and we will
commit/change only that
we want" doesn't sound like anarchy to me, it sounds a bit like a
benevolent oligarchy. And, while oligarchies have proven to have
faults in the Real World, I've found them (and even dictatorships) to
be far more effective in online collaboration than democracies. I've
been invovled in many projects, some on each side of the coin, and far
more got done when there was a small group (or single person) who
could make a final judgement. As long as those people do in fact
listen to the rest of us, and they take us into account, it typically
turns out for the best.

-Gul

P.S. I apologize for contributing to what is undoubtedly going to turn
into a flame war.