Hi,
I'd like to point out that as you've stated, django is deployed in
mulit-threaded environments successfully,
employing an app that makes use of geodjango in a multi-threaded environment
is not.
Justin (Bronn) will testify to this I'm sure (as I and others have run into
this issue whilst attempting to deploy mod_wsgi/mod_python/others in a
mutli-threaded environment.  (This is due to the underlying libgeos c
library not being thread safe itself)

I should (and will) create a ticket to make this clear in the django docs
for the geodjango parts, so that others may avoid the pain we went throught
a few months back.

Cheers,
Matt

--