My suggestion for handling the UI for multi-column sorts is to allow
the definition
of named sorts in a manner similar to the way that the default sorting
is defined.
With this in place, additional multi column orders can be accomplished
simply
by using this name as a sort selection and applying the corresponding
named sort.

If this is an acceptable approach, I can flesh out the API for it.