I don't have any say in what gets accepted or not but I do believe that your
solution is a decent one. I'm continuing with mine because it addresses a
current need simply and can be (fairly) easily tested. If you can create the
regression tests for yours then I believe you might get more traction.
Then again there may be some hesitation to the level of complexity you are
introducing. There is always a strong inclination in the the project for
simplicity.