Great news! Have you discussed the workflow yet?
I.e. will a DVCS be involved, and if yes, will there be
a central repo for coordinating the effort?

A special repo on Github would otherwise be perfect,
but as mentioned before, we have a problem with re-forking:
http://support.github.com/discussions/feature-requests/560-two-forks-of-a-single-repo

Whatever workflow and tools have been or will be
picked, may I suggest that clear instructions be written
for participants -- e.g. something in the lines of [1]?

[1] http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/CollaborateOnGithub