Hey,
a little status update:

We've switched our work to Alex' github multi-db branch because we
depend on that to make a clean non-relational backend API. Otherwise
we'd have to rewrite too much code once multi-db gets merged into
trunk. The new branch is at:
http://bitbucket.org/wkornewald/django-nonrel-multidb/

Our django-testapp project finally contains unit tests for all
supported DB features (Model.save(), QuerySet.get(), .count(),
.filter(), .exclude(), etc.).

Now we can implement a query_class() backend API and begin to move the
hacked-in App Engine code out of Django.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald