I think ticket #399 could make it into 1.2, but there's a -1 vote (from
James) to overcome first: Patch on the ticket (which is over a year old)
indicates how easy this is to do yourself if you need it.

The patch is no longer a year old, it's been updated a few times recently,
fixing tests to get it to work on multiple backends for instance.

Yes, it's easy to do yourself.  But to me this seems like an oddly basic
type to be missing from the base, with enough users potentially wanting it
that it deserves to be officially supported.  So I'd be willing to spend
some time on it, but I don't want to waste time if that -1 stands in the way
of checking it in.  James: how adamant are you on the -1?  Would you
consider -0 instead?

Karen