2009/12/10 Tomáš Kopeček <permo...@m6.cz>

> We've fixed all issues (like incomplete tests and few bugfixes), so
> patch is now ready to be included into trunk.
>
> I partially agree with -1 vote. It is easy. What is against: Included in
> trunk we address all backends (and it looks to be easy to maintain them)
> and second point: we have some unit tests.
> So finally I am more for inclusion than 'wontfix'.

Actually, there is an issue related to "all backends" support.  We can only
add the necessary code for the backends that Django ships.  There are also
externally maintained backends, which won't support big integer fields
without some changes.  Currently, the behavior when using a backend that
doesn't have a mapping for the new field is not ideal (I noticed this when
trying out the patch that had a mistake in the sqlite mapping, resulting in
sqlite having no mapping for the new field).  Syncdb ran fine, but the table
created was simply missing any big integer columns.  I think it would be
better if the syncdb failed with a clear message that the backend in use
doesn't support that type of field.

Now, it may be that from a practical point of view this will not really be a
fix that is needed.  If "old" external backends are going to fail loudly on
1.2 due to other core Django changes (I'm thinking multidb) then perhaps it
will be clear to anyone using an external backend that a new version of it
is needed for 1.2, and that new version would hopefully support the new
field type.  From a purist of view I still think syncdb should handle the
situation better, but from a practical point of view its current behavior
may not actually trip anyone up.  And it's not really something I wanted to
give a lot of thought to before determining whether this ticket can move
forward.

Karen