2010/1/14 Marty Alchin <gulop...@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Karen Tracey <kmtra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Martin's approach was single codebase where the 3.x version for execution is
>> generated by 2to3, not single source for execution across 2.x and 3.x.  Thus
>> I'm wondering if this difference is accounted for by 2to3?  If yes, then it
>> is not necessarily a problem that would stand in the way of maintaining
>> single Django source and supporting Python 2.x and 3.x simultaneously.
>
> Yes, I was a bit less clear than I should've been. I was responding on
> an assumption that the author was expecting a single codebase to work
> with 2 and 3 without going through 2to3 in between.
That is what I meant. And I believe it is possible even with those
syntactic diffrences.

> To my knowledge,
> 2to3 does handle all the syntactic issues between the two, but I just
> wanted to make it clear that it's definitely not "pretty much the same
> as supporting old 2.x pythons."
I'm not saying it is *as easy*. Surely, it's more complicated and
requires more work.

And actually, I agree with that 2to3 already handles most of this
stuff, so it's the right way to go. At least now. What I really wanted
to say, is that using 2to3 on a 2.6 code that uses (for example)
__future__.unicode_literals is more likely to succed.

--
Łukasz Rekucki