2010/1/14 Łukasz Rekucki <lreku...@gmail.com>:
> It is possible to write 3.x code that is backwards-compatible with
> python 2.6+. There are some rough edges like, names of stdlib modules,
> instance checks for strings and some introspection details. In my
> opinion, it's pretty much the same as supporting old 2.x pythons.

In many cases, this is true, but there are other scenarios (certain
forms of exception handling, for example) where there is no syntax
that's valid in both versions. That's syntax, not just libraries and
functions. There's no way to even get a file to parse in both Python 2
and Python 3 in these situations. There are certainly places in Django
that will run into these, so we really can't have a single codebase
that's completely compatible with both branches.

-Gul