I know this isn't really related, but figure I would bring it up here. When
working on optimizing our django app, it became very clear that one of the
biggest issues as usual is Indexes, particularly multi column indexes, which
at present django doesnt appear to support.

I know ticket 373 http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/373 covers multi
column primary keys, but are there any intentions to cover multi column
indexes as a smaller issue prior to this. The reason I bring this up, is
after checking the mysql logs we discovered our most costly queries are
actually due to django comments and the lack of multicolumn indexes, after
adding the correct index query times went from 300mS to <10mS giving us a
nice speed boost.

If this is likely to be a nice addition to django, we would be willing to
commit some resources to trying to get it into core, any thoughts on this?
Or does anyone else have a need for it? Or would we be standing on the toes
of the 373 ticket?

I was thinking of cloning the unique_together style and adding an
index_together Meta option, thoughts?

Mat

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 3:32 AM, Luke Plant <l.plant...@cantab.net> wrote:

> I've added these docs now, or at least a good first stab at them.
> Suggestions for improvements are welcome, patches are more welcome, as
> always :-)
>
> I backported to 1.1.X, and tried to remove any anachronisms.
>
> Regards,
>
> Luke
>
> --
> "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend... inside of a
> dog, it's too dark to read."
>
> Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/

Matthew Clayton | Founder/CEO
Wakari Limited