On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM, j...@jeffcroft.com <j...@jeffcroft.com> wrote:
> All due respect to Wilson (he's a great designer, a good friend, and
> he and I have talked on several occasions about the Django admin
> interface), I have to agree that the Django admin interface is dated
> and has some UI issues that could use work. I can also confirm that
> Wilson himself says this, and won't be offended by anyone else saying
> so. Wilson is one of the very best designers I've ever had the
> pleasure of working with, but he's not immune to the same "God that
> thing I made five years ago kind of sucks by today's standards"
> feeling we all have.
>
> As a designer who has been closely associated with the Django project
> for over four years, I gotta say: the feeling that no one but Wilson
> can contribute to an admin interface redux is a major frustration.
> I've talked about it with other great designers who love Django,
> including Nathan Borror and Bryan Veloso, and I think I can speak for
> all of us when I say we feel as though it's really not worth our time
> to propose an update for the admin interface, because if it doesn't
> come from Wilson, it won't be taken seriously by the core team.

I'm sorry if I gave that impression. My comments were intended that
while the admin can certainly be improved, but it isn't "fundamentally
flawed" as the OP seemed to imply, and we will hold a very high
standard to anyone proposing design changes. It was also intended to
point out that "OMFG, the design elements aren't all left aligned"
isn't necessarily an indication of bad design.

> Every time an update to the admin interface comes up, I hear one of
> two arguments against it from core devs, and both of them are, quite
> frankly, inaccurate:
>
> 1. "Wilson is the admin interface's designer, and he'll update it when
> he deems it necessary." -- No, he won't. He's a busy, busy man working
> on paying projects and from my discussions with him, I don't believe
> he has time for this (although I do believe he would *like* to do it).

I completely agree. Unless Wilson is specifically offering a new
design -- and not in an abstract, "oh yeah, I'll do that" kind of way
-- we should make way for someone else.

> 2. "The interface was designed by Wilson F'ing Miner of Apple.com fame
> and therefore it can not possibly have any UI issues." -- Wilson
> himself will be the first person to tell you this isn't true. There
> are UI issues. The look is dated. A lot of the template and javascript
> code sucks. It was a great piece of interaction design in 2005, but
> that was five years ago. Nothing on the web from five years ago is
> still awesome by today's standards. Nothing.

Again, completely agreed.

> The Django admin needs an update, and I think it's high time the core
> devs start making other talented designers feel as though if they put
> the effort in, their contributions will be seriously considered for
> inclusion in Django.

Ok - let me put my cards on the table:

 * I'm a member of the core, and I would *love* to see a comprehensive
design refresh of the admin.

 * Wilson is *not* the only person that can do the job. Wilson is
certainly welcome to propose a design change, but I think this is a
perfect opportunity for Django to shine the spotlight on the design
talent of others in our community.

 * However, the work needs to be done by someone that knows what they
are doing. Wilson's work isn't perfect or irreplaceable by a long
shot, but it does set a high bar. We're not going to change designs
just so we can wash the Wilson out of it.

 * This isn't an exercise we're going to repeat every 3 months just
because we can. If we do a design refresh now, I would expect that we
won't do another one for another couple of years.

So, to I'd like to make a proposal. Lets have a competition for a
redesign of the admin + databrowse. We accept proposals to anyone that
wants to make them, and the winner gets their code as the new admin
interface in trunk.

I'm open to suggestions on how to best run the competition; e.g.

 * Time frames? It would be nice to put this into 1.2, but I'm not
sure that gives us enough time to do the job properly.

 * Do we need to write a formal design brief, or do we just say
"everything the admin currently does, but better"?

 * Do we need to do this in phases - e.g., phase one for design
proposals, and then phase two for best execution of the design
proposal we pick?

 * Who judges? I'm predisposed to say that the winner should be picked
in the same way that we do feature voting for releases -- binding
votes by the core team, but with input from anyone else that wants to
offer an opinion.

If this works out well, it might turn in to a model we can reuse. The
DSF has some plans that will require some design work. Semi-regular
design competitions might be one way to draw attention to the awesome
design talent in our community.

Comments welcome - from other members of the core and the BDFLs in particular.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)