This is all very timely. Myself and my friend Harry Brignull (who runs
the UX blog http://www.90percentofeverything.com ) have been talking
for a while about the idea of doing some formal usability testing on
the Django admin and this might prove to be the catalyst.

I'll put together our plan and post something on this list to get some
feedback before we go ahead.

The basic plan is to test with non-technical volunteers to try and
indentify some of the areas that might not be immediately intuitive. I
plan to use a simple CRM app as the test case but I'm open to any
better suggestions. Basically a simple app that exercises most of the
interaction types in the contrib.admin

Andy