On Jul 26, 10:02 am, Tobias McNulty <tob...@caktusgroup.com> wrote:
> If such reusable code needs to cache things forever, which sounds perfectly
> reasonable to me, I'd still rather not co-opt "0" to mean "forever" in all
> cases.  Each backend that supports caching with no timeout could easily
> offer a class attribute, such as "TIMEOUT_FOREVER", that indicated how to
> set the timeout in these cases.

I'm not sure I see the problem with co-opting 0, since it already has
(or should have) that meaning on the most commonly-used backend, and
doesn't really have any other sensible meaning as a cache timeout
value. But the proposed class attribute is fine too.

> Rejecting a particular subset of cache keys is also not the greatest analogy
> to co-opting configuration values. :-)

The common thread, of course, is making it possible to write reusable
caching code without special-casing particular backends.

Carl