While on a personal level I agree wholeheartedly about moving to HTML5, I do
have reservations about it from the perspective of Django's "enterprise"
customers (AKA the ones with legacy and bureaucratic issues).

Thankfully we don't have major backwards-compatibility issues to deal with
from a functionality standpoint with the HTML5 doctype... but organizations
with validation requirements certainly still have a stake in this decision.

Provided the template-based form widget rendering proposal gets implemented,
perhaps the 1.4 documentation could give a full how-to on controlling the
output rendering so that those folks who need valid output according to one
spec or another have an obvious resource to turn to.

This is also probably an area where a third-party app could fill in the gap
to offer various libraries of doctypes and widgets fairly easily.

On the whole I'm +0 in the name of progress.

All the best,

    - Gabriel