On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Wim Feijen <wimfei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1. All major browsers now support html5 and by the time django 1.4
> will be released we will be right on time though a bit late.

Statements like "All modern browsers support it" misses the point. It
isn't the *modern* browsers that are the issue -- it's the *legacy*
browsers. This is exactly the same reason why we can't drop support
for old versions of Python -- "modern" operating systems all provide
Python 2.6 or better, but older operating systems don't.

Like it or not, IE6 still exists, and still has a non-trivial market
share [1]. I have green field projects that I'm working on right now
for which IE6 compatibility is an issue. Do I like it? Not one little
bit. But I have to follow the golden rule -- whoever has the gold,
makes the rules, and it's an unfortunate fact of life that enterprise
customers have money, and they also have massive IT installations that
can't/won't move off IE6.

I'm all on board with the broad sentiment of this proposal -- that we
should be providing a way for people to use HTML5 when they can, and
probably even moving to HTML5 as the default rendering style. However,
we simply *can't* ignore old browsers in this transition.

As with Gabriel; call me a tentative +0; this will rapidly drop to -1
if means supporting IE6 is difficult or impossible as a result of the
change.

Of course, this depends a great deal on the details of exactly what is
to be done, and where. Luke's proposal says we should "use HTML5
features at least as an option in places like the admin", but the
provided patch is a unilateral switch to HTML5 doctypes in the admin.
Optional support is a completely different beast from only providing
HTML5 rendering.

And, to provide some context to Luke's point (6) -- part of my driving
motivation in the template rendering proposal was to provide a way for
end-developers to determine which doctype they want to use, and how
they interpret that doctype, rather than Django needing to mandate
anything.

[1] http://www.ie6countdown.com/

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)