On Mar 29, 1:26 pm, Luke Plant <l.plant...@cantab.net> wrote:
> The further enhancements I'm thinking of are things like an EmailInput
> widget (which I'd suggest was the default widget for EmailField, but
> could be just available in django/forms/widgets.py). This widget would
> output <input type="email">.  AFAIK, this is fully backwards compatible
> with browsers that don't support it, since <inputs> default to
> type="text" if the browser doesn't recognise the "type" attribute.

This commodity with input types (particularly search, tel, url and
email) may possibly be the only one we can offer out-of-the-box if we
want to continue supporting IE6 without javascript. This would still
be welcome though, and certainly a step in the right direction. In
principle, the HTML5 doctype is fully backwards and forwards
compatible with any browser so that can't hurt [1].

Since the patch is small, then it would be very quick to test it in
all browsers right away, no? :-)

Julien

[1] http://ejohn.org/blog/html5-doctype/