I think it would be helpful here to clearly distinguish three distinct
varieties of "using HTML5," two of which are clear wins and one which I
don't see any reason to do:

1. Switching to the HTML5 doctype in those few places where Django
actually renders a full page with doctype (the admin, databrowse, CSRF
failure page). This is fully backwards and forwards compatible, and
there is no reason (AFAICS) why we should not simply do it. It gives
people writing custom admin widgets more flexibility, without losing
anything. IMO "configurability" here is overkill; the admin (and
databrowse) are standalone apps: they just need to be internally
consistent and work well in all browsers.

2. Providing HTML5 form widget types (email, date, etc) in django.forms.
These are very useful in newer browsers, and fall back gracefully to
input type="text" in older browsers, so again I don't see a downside.
Unlike HTML5-only elements (see #3), these input types don't cause a
problem with CSS in IE.

3. Introducing HTML5-only elements (nav, section, footer, etc) anywhere
in Django-provided templates. This requires Javascript help to work with
most IE versions. Given that the current markup in Django works fine and
is already valid HTML5, I don't see why we would want to do this, short
of possibly in a full admin redesign later on.

My understanding is that Luke is proposing 1 & 2, but not 3 - and I
agree with that. Like others, I'm interested in hearing from Idan on this.

Carl