On 20 September 2011 14:16, Carl Meyer <c...@oddbird.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:26:22 PM UTC-6, jdunck wrote:
> > Well, I meant to mark accepted as endorsement of the patch, but that
> > made me owner.
>
> Yeah, this is confusing in our Trac UI. The "accept" radio button at the
> bottom assigns the ticket to you, it doesn't actually do anything with
> the triage state. To change the ticket from DDN to Accepted you'd use
> the dropdown next to "Triage Stage" up in the box above.
>
> I'd be in favor of just removing that "accept" radio button if it isn't
> hard to do; doesn't do anything you can't do with the "reassign" option,
> just gets confused with the triage state.

I too am in favour of removing this button, if that's possible. It adds no
value and causes confusion.

> I can't own it since I'm not a core committer.
>
> Hmm, I wasn't aware of this policy. We don't seem to make real
> consistent use of the "owned by" field, but as far as I was aware it was
> just a way to signal that you were working on this ticket so someone
> else with interest would check with you before diving in and doing a
> bunch of work. I thought anybody could make use of this field if they
> planned to push the ticket forward and wanted to signal that.

There is actually a policy for using this field which more or less matches
your assumption. It is documented here:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/writing-code/submitting-patches/#claiming-tickets

However, the doc could certainly do with further clarifications. Patches
welcome :P

Julien