On 21/09/11 10:40, Stephen Burrows wrote:

> Just thought it might be worth mentioning in this thread that django-
> ticketeer is coming along nicely. (For those who don't know, django-
> ticketeer is a django front-end for trac installations which was
> spawned during the djangocon sprints). It now supports viewing &
> editing tickets, adding tickets, and searching tickets, though a lot
> of specific aspects of those actions are not yet supported.
>
> If anyone is interested in contributing, that would be great -
> especially people who love front-end work. The project was started
> because Trac... doesn't provide the best user experience. Ticketeer
> should.

This isn't really my business, and possibly not on topic, apart from the
fact that Django really ought to be a well-behaved Python citizen, so I
thought I'd voice my concern:

> The project was started
> because Trac... doesn't provide the best user experience.

I really cannot understand this as a rationale. If Trac doesn't provide
the best user experience, surely the obvious thing would be to fix Trac
with some well written patches - it is an open source software after
all. Has this been tried? (Genuine question). Have they said "we are not
interested in improving user experience" or something? I do genuinely
hope I'm wrong, and perfectly willing to be corrected, but to me, this
sounds like thinly veiled Not Invented Here syndrome, and I don't think
that is good for the Django community.

Yes, Trac is not written in Django. But Django isn't perfect, it isn't
the best for every job, and I don't want us to antagonise other Python
communities by suggesting it is, and by doing our own thing instead of
contributing work back to the original project. The latter is much
harder in many ways than the former, but I would suggest it is much more
profitable in the long run, and a good opportunity to learn from another
project, which will surely have significant strengths of its own.

Regards,

Luke

--
I never hated a man enough to give him his diamonds back. (Zsa Zsa
Gabor)

Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/