On 20 oct. 2011, at 22:22, Carl Meyer wrote:

>> In order to make deployment easier, I also recommend putting
>> site-wide templates and templatetags in an application, and keeping
>> TEMPLATE_DIRS empty, but that's a personal preference.
>
> Just out of curiosity, why would you say it makes deployment easier to
> put static assets and templates into an installed app, rather than using
> TEMPLATE_DIRS/STATICFILES_DIRS? (Templatetags are a different issue;
> those have to go in an app).

I see two advantages:
- everything is an app: there are no special directories to handle when you
build a package,
- templates and static files work with the same settings in development and
production.

These arguments aren't very strong:
- you still have to ensure that static files and templates are properly
packaged within apps,
- generally, you have different settings in development and production anyway,
and the overhead of changing TEMPLATE_DIRS/STATICFILES_DIRS is negligible.

That's why I said it's a personal preference, maybe even an aesthetic matter :)

Best regards,

--
Aymeric Augustin.