I created a generic `accounts` app which has (among other things) it's
own `Profile` model with a username field and a OneToOneField pointing
at `User`. I added an authentication backend to my settings that
checks usernames from my model. Of course there are other supporting
components, forms, signals, etc., but this has removed any Django
username limitations for me pretty easily.

This might be a little inconvenient, but it works well here and I
still have a `User` for every `Profile` so I can hook into Django
sessions and groups. If you are having trouble with `User.username`
right now or anticipate issues in the near future, I suggest you
implement something similar yourself, or find an open source generic
app that does it for you, as I think it will likely be a very long
time until this is resolved in Django.

Cheers.
Tai.