Hi,

When I started using Python a couple of months ago, a quick Google for
frameworks turned up a lot of results for Django so I decided to give it a
spin.

I'd like to give some feedback on my experience to date. There are a lot of
features I really love, some that are a little quirky and some that are
downright inflexible. None of this will be news - it's the same for every
framework. That said, I started to have doubts when I was attempting to
find solutions/workarounds to the problems I encountered.

Today was the 5th or 6th time that I've ended up at the ticket system and
seen people saying "This would really help me" and a core developer saying
"I don't see the need" (rather arbitrarily IMHO) and closing as wontfix.
This is invariably followed by people asking for reconsideration which in
turn gets a "use the mailing list" with varying degrees of rudeness.

While I'm sure it's not the real reason, sending people to the mailing
lists feels like a way of brushing disagreement under the carpet. There's
no obvious way to follow on from the discussion in the ticket to the
relevant discussions in the mailing list (if any) and visitors coming by
years later now have to go and hunt through an archive to find out if
there's any chance of a change.

I feel that the general attitude expressed in some of the tickets is poor.
The one which prompted this post is
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/901. I think comment
20<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/901#comment:20> is
a good demonstration of my point. A couple of users were getting frustrated
at the lack of discussion/progress which resulted in a fairly sanctimonious
rant.

Some other tickets I've ended up on have proposed patches and seem to have
sat in "Design decision" for years, which again gives the impression that
the core team didn't like it so just sort of ignored it until it went away.

So, to be honest, the impression I'm getting WRT new features in Django is
"Don't bother proposing it 'cos it's not going to happen".

There are
StackOverflow<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9791947/how-do-i-refresh-the-values-on-an-object-in-django>

questions<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4377861/reload-django-object-from-database>

(another<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15821581/django-how-to-refresh-or-reload-models-from-database>)
 on
the topic and numerous other sources pointing at this particular ticket
wondering why it hasn't been implemented. The only reason I can see is that
"jacob" wasn't convinced by the (first) use case.

Now, I admit that I'm probably seeing the worst side of the problem, there
are probably hundreds of other features which did get in (which is why
there's documentation not tickets for me to find) but that doesn't make the
situation I'm seeing better, just smaller.

Perhaps the fact that people keep posting on closed tickets shows that the
current flow to the mailing lists isn't a good one? Maybe either add a
"Start a topic about this ticket" link or maybe even just allow discussion
to continue on the ticket as many others do?

I'm unlikely to use Django moving forward. There are a number of reasons
and I'd be lying if I said this was the biggest but it was a factor in my
decision.

Anyway, I wanted to take a few minutes and share the impressions I've had
to date - perhaps this way, others will have a better experience in future.

Thanks for reading

Simon