On 10 mai 2013, at 19:00, Simon <si...@exonar.com> wrote:

> While I'm sure it's not the real reason, sending people to the mailing lists
> feels like a way of brushing disagreement under the carpet.

If you read our contributing guide, you'll understand that it's the exact
opposite.

If I wanted to drown an issue, I'd just let it sit there, and nothing would
happen.

> There's no obvious way to follow on from the discussion in the ticket to the
> relevant discussions in the mailing list (if any) and visitors coming by
> years later now have to go and hunt through an archive to find out if there's
> any chance of a change.

The mailing-list is on Google Groups, all you need is to paste a link to the
discussion in a comment.

> I feel that the general attitude expressed in some of the tickets is poor.
> The one which prompted this post is
> https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/901. I think comment 20 is a good
> demonstration of my point. A couple of users were getting frustrated at the
> lack of discussion/progress which resulted in a fairly sanctimonious rant.

You don't bother reading (or acknowledging) the previous comments, you leave a
passive-aggressive 2-lines comment, a committer takes the time to write 20
lines in response, and your reaction is "shrug, just another rant"?

Step back and try looking at it from the other side.

Or, as an exercise, triage a few dozen tickets here:
https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=!closed&stage=Unreviewed&desc=1&order=changetime
Just figure out what each ticket is about and:
- move it to "Accepted", or
- close it as "needsinfo" or "invalid",
with a comment explaining your decision.

Once you've done, say, 25 tickets, read Russell's answer again, and remember he
triaged several thousand tickets over the history of Django. Maybe you'll
understand his perspective better.

At worst, you'll have helped us a bit :)

> Some other tickets I've ended up on have proposed patches and seem to have
> sat in "Design decision" for years, which again gives the impression that the
> core team didn't like it so just sort of ignored it until it went away.

And that's why we eliminated DDN a few weeks ago.

I personally made a decision on several hundred tickets. I'm not asking for
anything in return. Please just don't imply the core team is slacking. Such
feedback is clearly pushing me towards spending less time on Django and more
with my family.

> So, to be honest, the impression I'm getting WRT new features in Django is
> "Don't bother proposing it 'cos it's not going to happen".

Indeed "I would like a pony" doesn't work. Building trust with the developers,
discussing alternatives with their advantages and drawbacks, proposing patches,
and avoiding snarky comments works much better.

> I'm unlikely to use Django moving forward. There are a number of reasons and
> I'd be lying if I said this was the biggest but it was a factor in my
> decision.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope you'll find a friendlier community.

--
Aymeric.