On 30 touko, 21:03, Andrew Godwin <and...@aeracode.org> wrote:
> I prefer option 3, but getting rid of syncdb might be controversial, so I
> want to ask for people's opinions. syncdb would continue to exist for at
> least 3 versions if not forever; it would just be an alias to run "migrate"
> in its default configuration, and would do exactly what you would expect
> (whereas with South now, and with option 2, syncdb doesn't do enough).

+1 to #3.

I haven't used South as much as I should have (instead I have painful
manual scripts to do migrations). The biggest pain point about
database schemas for me is easily test database setup. That is, sync
from scratch. I do the following currently:
  1. load schema + a little bit of data from production through
pg_dump + pg_restore. The data is mostly metadata, in particular
already applied migrations in production.
  2. run those migrations that haven't been applied already.

Will I be able to do the above somehow?  Will #3 do a similar thing
for test database setup, except that you run all migrations against
empty database? The first migration would be the initial "syncdb", and
then you run rest of the migrations in chain finally arriving to the
wanted database state. Or would it be "sync" all models, then run
migrations against that database?

Sorry if these are stupid questions... I really do not know South as
well as I should, so I need a little tutoring...

 - Anssi