On 30/05/13 20:55, Andrew Godwin wrote:

> The way South works, and the way this will work (for new installs as
> well as tests) is that if migrations are present for an app, it will
> always create new databases by running through them from the very first
> migration to the latest one.

One problem with this is that you have to be careful to write migrations
that will always work from scratch. This is best practice, but I have on
occasion used data migrations that were for specific problems, and may
have depended on specific data in the database. I've also used them for
populating parts of the database at specific upgrade points. Usually I
wouldn't want this data to be installed for my tests - I want my tests
to explicitly do the setup they need, and not be complicated by data
from data migrations.

For these reasons, and because of the slowness of running all the
migrations, there are some projects where I have a settings file for
running the tests that excludes South from INSTALLED_APPS, which solves
the problem nicely.

The slowness problem can be fixed by squashing, but it seems a shame to
require that simply for the sake of running tests. And it doesn't solve
the other problems. I would like to be able to turn off migrations for
tests, and just skip to the final schema.

Luke

--
"I washed a sock. Then I put it in the dryer. When I took it out,
it was gone."  (Steven Wright)

Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/