Ben,

I know you haven't advocated the removal of the CoC (or #84 for that
matter), but you've questioned speech and behaviour limitations upthread,
so I thought I would include my thougths of a CoC in general.

Just because the code of conduct hasn't been used for intervention
(forgetting the one instance you've mentioned for now), it doesn't mean
that it's not a useful tool to have. I would like to think that common
sense would prevail, but we've seen instances in similar communities where
it has not. You should not (IMO) need a CoC to tell you not to tell sexual
jokes at a conference. The organisers should not need (IMO) a CoC to
justify intervention.

But certain groups of people feel safer or more included attending events
where they feel like professional behaviour is encouraged and enforced
where necessary. Some attendees that may not have a complete idea of what
constitutes professional behaviour can learn from the CoC. And organisers
have clear direction (authority) of what constitutes desirable behaviour.
I, personally, feel that calling out specific negative behaviour is useful
for the educational aspect. It is clear that some people have, at other
conferences, not been aware that their behaviour was inappropriate.
Codifying certain examples of undesirable behaviour seems like a good thing
to me.

The language of #86 does not introduce new "examples" of positive or
negative behaviour though. It specifically tries to apply the existing code
to non-django spaces, so I think that debating the merits of inclusive or
exclusive behaviour should probably belong to a separate discussion.

Regards,

Josh

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/25aa3758-b4ba-4570-8498-a9bb8e333f33%40googlegroups.com.